How to dress for graduation
Caps, gowns & tassels
Students are required to wear caps, gowns and tassels when participating in-person in the University Commencement Ceremony as well as any college convocation ceremony and most special interest convocation events. PLEASE NOTE: The Stole of Gratitude is an additional amenity to the official cap and gown. It is NOT a required part of the academic regalia.
Caps, Gowns and Graduation Products
Caps, gowns and personalized graduation announcements may be purchased online through Herff Jones.
Online Grad Fair fall 2021
Dear graduating Sun Devil,
The Online Grad Fair is the only time graduation packages will be discounted.
The Online Grad Fair will run from Friday, October 15 at 7 a.m. MST to Sunday, October 24 at 9 p.m. MST. Keep an eye on your inbox on Friday, Oct. 15 for the unique URL you will need to be able to access your discounted graduation packages.
You can purchase your graduation package online before Nov 15. Please note, after the Online Grad Fair, graduation packages will be full price.
Commemorative maroon and gold tassels are also available. All items can be purchased via the Herff Jones online store.
For questions about the Online Grad Fair, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-219-3247.
For general graduation questions, please visit graduation.asu.edu.
For information about the history of the academic costume, visit the American Council on Education Web site.
How to wear your cap and gown
How to wear your doctorate cap and gown
What do you wear under your cap and gown?
What you wear under your cap and gown is about comfort and style! Think business-casual dress, and remember: your shirt collar or dress top will show. Wear comfortable shoes suited for the surface — a football field? Stairs to climb or descend? Check to see what the temperature will be during the ceremony and make sure you are prepared. Most importantly, wear something that won’t distract from the formality of the ceremony and is the right fit for post-ceremony dinner or an outing with family and friends.
How do you wear a mortarboard?
Wear your mortarboard like the academic pro you are. Place the cap on your head so the point is in the front, about 1 inch above the eyebrows. Your mortarboard should be worn level on your head, and the tassel should be placed on the right side.
How do you iron a graduation gown?
If you choose to iron your graduation gown, here are a couple of quick tips:
- Turn the gown inside out and use the “Warm” setting on your iron. If you are ironing your stole, iron it face down, not directly on the stitching on the front.
- Move the iron continuously; don’t stay too long in one spot! Hang the gown to keep it wrinkle-free. You can use a steamer on your graduation stole, too!
What side do you wear your graduation cap tassel?
Wear your graduation tassel on the right side of your mortarboard. When you have received your diploma, you will be told to flip your tassel to the left side!
How do you wear honor cords at graduation?
Here’s how to properly wear your graduation honor cord(s):
- Once you are in your gown, first place your graduation stole around your neck, making sure the ends are at the same length.
- Place your honor cord(s) on top of your graduation stole, again making sure the cords are at the same length.
How do your wear a post-graduate hood at graduation?
To wear your graduation hood, follow these tips:
- Unfold your graduation hood with the colors facing outward and place over your head.
- Attach the hood cord to your shirt button, or use a pin to keep the hood properly secured and positioned.
- Get some assistance to turn your colors out on the back, so they show.
- You can also carry your hood to your graduation ceremony to get some help!